Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Outrage Wing of the PC(USA): Time to Look in the Mirror

There has been yet another trial in yet another presbytery on the same old questions of human sexuality.  A pastor was tried in Southern New England presbytery for allegedly violating his ordination vows and the constitution of the church by marrying his partner.  He was found not guilty on all charges by the presbytery PJC.

The decision was, by what information is available, made based on binding GAPJC and GA authoritative interpretations and on the present constitution of the church.  Still, that has not stopped the outrage wing of the PC(USA) from crying foul and declaring the presbytery PJC members everything from heretics to Baal worshipers.  (Props for that last name-caller not just going with the usual pagan worshiper label.)

I refer to these particular critics of the decision as the outrage wing of the church rather than the conservative wing because as tempting as it is for some people to lump them together, they are not the same thing.

Despite recent changes to the constitution of the church and the growing consensus that human sexuality is not the single defining issue of all things faith-related, there are many members of the PC(USA) (clergy and laity alike) who remain unconvinced that the church is headed in the right direction.  They hold deep convictions that the church should return to the former position that homosexuality is contrary to scripture and the life of faith.

Part of what I love about being a Presbyterian is that there is room in the church for people who hold that more traditionalist view and room for those of us who are convinced of the faithfulness of the church's current direction.  I love being a part of a church that can embrace the truth that we all see through the glass dimly and none of us has a full comprehension of the mind and perspective of God.  Many of my more conservative friends in the church share that feeling about our church.

Unfortunately, there are still those in the PC(USA) for whom the present direction of the church is anathema to faithfulness and who are determined 24/7 to root out those who disagree with them and rid the church of any opinion that does not fit their own perspective.  This outrage wing of the church is constantly going on about how the church has abandoned scripture, the confessions and the Book of Order.  We have, in their opinion, become "post-constitutional" and "post-confessional."  One comment on a letter posted on the Presbyterian Layman website went on and on about how we have abandoned the constitution and are no longer bound by the words of those books.  Another writer declared that Jesus (who had NOTHING to say about same-gender relationships) would be appalled by our abandoning of the constitution.

What, I have begun to wonder, matters more to these members of the outrage wing of the Presbyterian Church (USA)...that we worship Christ or that we kneel before books?  It seems from their level of vitriol and outrage against those with whom they disagree that what is most important is that we root our faith in the bible, confessions and Book of Order as books rather than in the Christ they seek to proclaim.

When the single most important thing in your lived life of faith is rooting out those who do not share your own personal devotion to words on a page, it might be time to look in the mirror and do some self-evaluation before throwing those stones.

For my part, I will continue to worship and proclaim the Christ who time and time again demonstrates that he will not and cannot be contained by the words or pages of any book.

3 comments:

  1. Yes. Someone from the outrage wing just compared me to the Nazis last week in a blog post. Clearly your argument is not strong if you jump to the Nazis.
    But from comments from the conservative, yet not quite outrage, wing of the church, they claim that while they may be able to practice the faith as they feel called in their own congregation, they feel the denomination is not a safe place for them. I'm trying to hear that for the sincere comment they mean it to be.

    My post that got the attention of the outrage wing is here: http://marciglass.com/2013/11/24/more-lines-in-the-sand/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a short story. I'm a conservative pastor in the PC(USA). I do speak up but I try to be respectful. "Outrage Wing" doesn't feel like me. But I'm a life-long Presbyterian. I was raised respecting, trusting and appreciating the Presbyterian process. So when I had trouble in my congregation, I turned to the presbytery for help. Friends and family said I was foolish and they were proven right. I was removed from my congregation. Among other things, the ac explained that I wasn't a good theological fit for the congregation. So yeah, speaking only for myself, I don't feel safe in the PC(USA).

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you are not alone, Jesse. I think this is where we need to work as a church. The PC(USA) is diminished when we run out those who may not agree with the majority of the church. If we can learn to have theological difference and at the same time enough respect for one another and the power of the Holy Spirit in our midst, we might find ourselves able to live on our common ground more than we do in our differences. The culture needs a model for living in community even with those who disagree with our opinions and I am not sure what better place there is for that to start than in the church. And, no Jesse, I would never think of you as the part of the church I was referring to. I am talking about those who react to disagreement with nothing but spite, vitriol and vengeance. They appear more concerned with getting their way and destroying their "enemies" than anything else.

    ReplyDelete