Tuesday, September 17, 2013

ECG Dispatch 1: When Hymns Tell a Half-Truth

Posting anything about conference worship is a dodgy thing. It is important to be honest, but at the same time it is wise to remember that the people who lead are doing so sincerely and faithfully. So let me begin by saying thanks to the group who gave their time and talent to lead worship last night and today. Turning a critical eye to our shared worship life is good, but not personal.

I came to this conference trying to approach worship as a visitor. It is my first time to this particular gathering so I dod not know what to expect but I had some preconceived ideas about worship. They were quickly set aside.

My assumption was that worship would serve as a "teaching moment" for conferees. It was never said that this was the case, but it is often the way at gatherings like this. If that was indeed the case, I learned four things:

1. Presbyterian worship consists of a prayer, 25 minutes of praise band singing and a sermon. (a VERY good sermon at that mind you. Say what you will but we Presbyterians can flat out preach.)

2. If you do not already know the songs you are on your own.

3. There is no evidence at all that the PC(USA) has literally just published a new worship book/hymnal.

4. The PC(USA) has two theological priorities (based on the songs) and they are a) substitutionary atonement for salvation and b) an uncritical happiness about Jesus.

There was no confession of sin, no opportunity to pray beyond praise for how awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome Jesus is and how happy happy happy happy happy we are for that.

There is nothing wrong with the music we were singing. It is not my favorite but that is taste not content. The trouble is that we sang SO MANY songs that had only a very narrow theological message. Worshipers only got a glimpse into the breadth of theology in the church. If I had walked in from the street, I would not know it was a Presbyterian worship experience.

Both opening worship and morning "praise" were disappointments. After 15 years of parish ministry I felt like I was worshiping from the outside.

If there was a teaching moment there for me it is this, we cannot overestimate the strangeness of worship to someone unfamiliar with our worshiping communities. Part of being hospitable is helping the uninitiated become part of our traditions.

It makes me think about Thanksgiving and my mother's table. It is not uncommon for there to be someone there for the first time. Whether it is extended family or a friend who was unable to travel to see family at year, we like having someone extra at the table.

Part of our Thanksgiving ritual is saying grace and two traditions are part of that. First, we are hand holders. Second, my sister giggles. Part of welcoming new people to the table is telling them the first and explaining the second. We hold hands just because we like to. My sister giggles because she thought my prayers got a little long and ponderous and though they are shorter now, she still laughs. Part of being hospitable to our guest is helping translate our table.

When a stranger/visitor/seeker experiences our worship, do we have tools in place to help translate the movement, words, assumptions, theology of worship or are we leaving them to their own devices? More importantly, are we telling them the whole truth? Is life in Christ always and only awesome awesome awesome and full of happy happy happy days?




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

  1. Really? No confession? Was there much liturgy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. None. I'm cool with liturgy being carried by music, but that is not wht this was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wouldn't work for me. And when I go to events with all substitutionary atonement music, I realize how little we hear it at the church I am privileged to serve.

      Delete
  3. When you say no prayer, not even the Lord's prayer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. New members to Central almost always comment that one of the things they appreciate about our worship is the recognition through prayer and confession that we are sinners in need of a redeemer. Most of them have come from touchy feely Buddy Jesus congregations and were looking for more depth. Why does our denominational leadership not understand that a growing segment of young seekers want more substance because they are tired of what Nadia Bolz Weber terms vapid optimism?

    ReplyDelete