Friday, June 22, 2012

Why A Guy Like Me Reads the Presbyterian Layman

Most people who know me are more than a little surprised that I read the Presbyterian Layman online almost every day.  I dwell in a significantly different place on the theological spectrum from the average Layman reader and my theological perspective is somewhat different from their editorial position.  So why do I read it?

One answer I suppose is that when you are in the midst of controversy or conflict, it is good to know what the other guy is thinking.  The Layman's perspective on issues facing the church from Israel/Palestine to healthcare reform to whether we shall devise a list of the "essentials of the Reformed faith" are distinctly different than my own.  Reading the Layman gives me insight on what "the other side" is thinking.  That is certainly a pragmatic reason and it is, on some level I suppose, correct.

Mostly I read the Layman because I am trying not to be a hypocrite.  Like every pastor, I have a handful of favorite themes and texts for preaching and I often find myself reverting to those places.  One of my favorite themes is the hope we find in the breadth of God's love and grace.  I find hope in the diversity of our world and especially in the church.  So I read the Layman because I preach that there is a place at the table for them.  I can hardly say on Sunday morning that we need to more fully understand those with whom we disagree and share fellowship and then ignore the opinions of that portion of the church the rest of the week. 

On a related note, I believe that by reading and engaging the Layman I can bear witness to a theological principle that I believe is essential for the church today.  We must begin to teach our culture a vocabulary of dialogue and respect.  The political forum is so divided that the parties and their leaders are no longer even in sight of one another.  The church is called to bear a witness counter to the world.  I read the Layman so that I do not lose track of my own theological conviction.  By engaging with writing and opinion that I rarely agree with and occasionally find personally offensive, I have the opportunity to live out the theological witness I seek to proclaim in my congregaions. 

I have no idea whether or not any Layman readers read my blog or any of the other outlets for viewpoints out of line with the Layman's editorial stance.  I hope they do.  The more we know about one another the harder it is to be dismissive of one another.  As for me, I will continue to read the Layman regularly and agree with it rarely.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that I am not the only one. I also check the Layman every day and often am saddened by what I read, but I do it so that I will understand, and respect, where others of faith are coming from. I wish that more people would read sources from all sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Collin. It will go a long way to healing much of our division if we (on ALL sides) will learn to listen rather than just shout.

    ReplyDelete